An excellent recipe for home-style baked chicken parmesan.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 1 lb/500 g)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp each of pepper, dried basil, & oregano
- 3/4 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Pat chicken dry. Pound to flatten slightly.
- Dust chicken lightly with flour. Dip into egg.
- Combine bread crumbs with 1/4 cup(50mL) of the Parmesan cheese. Pat bread crumb mixture into the chicken.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch(3.5L) baking dish with foil. Brush with vegetable oil. Arrange chicken in the dish in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven for 20 min.
- Meanwhile in medium-sized saucepan, melt butter and whisk in 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour. Cook, without browning, for 3 min.
- Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Add seasonings; reduce heat. Cook 5 min, stirring often.
- Spread some of the milk sauce on each chicken breast. Drizzle with prepared tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 min longer.
Preparation time: 30 min
Baking time: 35 min