MAKES 30 BISCOTTI
Preparation: 15 minutes | Bake: 60 minutes | Preheat oven to: 350 °F (180 °C)
Baking sheets, lightly greased or lined with parchment paper
- 2 cups bran cereal, crushed 500 mL
- 1 ½ cups cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- ¾ cup quick-cooking rolled oats 175 mL
- ½ cup each: sliced almonds and finely chopped dried apricots 125 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten 3
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 2 tsp almond extract 10 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
1. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs, oil, almond extract and vanilla. Stir into bran cereal
mixture until well blended (dough will be dry and crumbly).
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 to 15 times, until
dough holds together. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log
about 8 in (20 cm) long and 3 in (7.5 cm) wide. Place on baking sheets.
4. Bake for 30 min. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 °F
(160 °C). Remove logs from baking sheets and let cool on a wire rack for 10 min.
5. Using a serrated knife, cut each log into ½ in (1 cm) thick slices. Return slices,
to baking sheets.
6. Bake for 15 min. Turn biscotti over and bake for 15 to 20 min or until light brown. Let
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories: 94 Carbohydrate: 18.0 g Calcium: 32 mg
Fat: 2.1 g Fibre: 2.5 g Iron: 1.1 mg
Sodium: 44 mg Protein: 2.4 g