Yoga has been deeply rooted in Hindu religious principles for the last 5000 years. Derived from the Sanskrit word for “union”, the term yoga refers to far more than exercise.
In fact, it encompasses a wide variety of disciplines designed to, as believed, bring the practitioner closer to God.
Yoga seeks to enhance the “prana” or life force, that resides in the body. It helps to achieve a state of balance and harmony between body and mind.
There are three basic techniques that contribute to the search for union in its own unique way.
- Breathing – deep and slow is encouraged
- Postures – stretch and strengthened muscles, compress and relax organs and nerves
- Meditation – focuses the mind and relaxes the body. Aims to produce a quiet, calm frame of mind
Below is a summary of some of the most common benefits from the regular practice of Yoga:
- decrease in the respiratory rate and blood pressure
- reduces stress and anxiety – mentally and physically
- promotes relaxation and enhances a sense of well-being
- improves physical fitness, circulation and, some say, memory
- sleep and digestion
- it can be used as supplementary therapy
Yoga, is increasingly becoming one of the most popular forms of health exercise. But, as with all forms of exercise, you should first consult your doctor before you start practicing Yoga for health.
How do you rate, healthwise? Check out our interactive corner.
Please visit Nahanni River Herbs’ health book store. While there, browse through the large selection of brand name books, ebooks, and excellent CDs, DVDs or tapes. Remember, that all these items are available to you at competitive or discounted prices – directly from our merchants.