Weight Loss Plateaus
Everyone who has ever tried to lose weight has experienced plateaus – those annoying times when your fat thermostat seems to get stuck, and no matter what you do, you can’t lose another ounce. The body, having decided that you are at the correct weight for your current activity level and caloric intake, causes these periods of weight loss plateaus. Your body seems to do everything in its power to keep you there. To stimulate fat burning, add a protein snack, lower your carbohydrate intake for a couple of days, and include a little extra exercise.
KEYS FOR TRANSFORMING A PLATEAU:
- Keep blood sugar balanced. This allows fat burning to take place by keeping insulin low.
- Make sure you are getting enough protein at each meal. Protein is the key to stimulating glucagon, your fat burning hormone.
- Eat good quality essential fats at every meal.
- Limit starches to one serving per meal.
- Make sure you are getting the recommended amount of fluids; preferably water 8-10 (8 oz.) glasses per day, not getting enough daily fluids can slow down fat burning.
- Exercise – either working out more days, or adding more intensity.
- Listening or reading positive affirmations, will help to keep you focused on your long range goal – permanent weight loss.
- Reviewing other forms of information, pertaining to your weight loss regime will give you the added insight and awareness of all the options, alternatives, and choices you have. They will remind you of things that you may have forgotten.
INSULIN REMINDER FOR PLATEAUS:
- Remember that elevated insulin levels can hamper your attempt to burn excess body fat.
- Elevated insulin, forces your body to burn carbohydrates instead of fat, for energy.
- Elevated insulin, inhibits the release and utilization of stored body fat.
- Your body converts and stores the excess glucose as body fat.
- Eating too large a meal also causes elevated insulin. Extra insulin stimulates fat storage, in order to clear the bloodstream of the excess food eaten.
- Remember, that this entire response of elevated insulin is primarily the result of not getting adequate protein, essential fats, and fiber with each meal – meaning, the meal contained too many carbohydrates or too much food.
- To maximize fat burning, it is not what you eat, but the balance of what you eat and the hormonal response created, that is important.
DURING A PLATEAU, IT IS HELPFUL TO LIMIT STARCHES TO ONE SERVING PER MEAL
PROTEIN REMINDER FOR PLATEAUS:
- Your body understands that protein is the most critical nutrient metabolically. The body calibrates the number of calories it uses each day (metabolic rate) to the amount of incoming protein it receives.
- Glucagon is stimulated by the pancreas, primarily in response to the presence of adequate amounts of protein in the diet.
- Glucagon’s primary job is to maintain stable blood sugar levels in your body, by mobilizing stored body fat and converting it into energy.
- By eating a bite or two of protein before eating any carbohydrates, you maximize the stimulation of the fat burning hormone, glucagon, as well as helping to slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream for better stabilization of insulin.
- A consistent intake of protein will raise HGH (Human Growth Hormone) levels.
ESSENTIAL FAT REMINDER FOR PLATEAUS:
- Individuals watching their weight may find it hard to believe, but there are fats (hempseed, flaxseed) that can make fats burn more rapidly. The right fat can help you lose weight and stimulate fat burning to transform a plateau.
- Make and inform decision about your coice of healthy fats; here are some:
– Benefit from Flax Seed Oil . Not only does it improve carnitine activity in the
body, but studies have shown that it can substantially lower the risk of death
from coronary heart disease. Flax seed oil contains twice the amount of Omega-3
oils than that of fish oil products. NSP’s Flax Seed Oil is 100% endorsed organic
and unrefined; due to the cold pressing of the seeds.
– Reap the benefits of Super Oil capsules that combines oil from three different
EXERCISE TIPS FOR PLATEAUS :
- Exercise speeds up the fat burning process by burning calories, increasing the metabolic rate, and lowering insulin levels.
- When insulin is lowered, glucagon is elevated and exercise really starts to pay off by burning maximum levels of stored body fat for energy.
- Exercise releases human growth hormone (HGH).
- HGH increases the amount of protein tissues (muscle) in the body; this helps to decrease body fat.
- When your intake of carbohydrates is high, and taken in before, during, or right after exercise, you inhibit glucagon and HGH release, by stimulating insulin, and forcing your body to burn glucose instead of stored body fat. This completely negates the hormonal benefits of exercise.
- Research shows that exercising first thing in the morning allows you to tap into more body fat; as glucose levels in the blood and tissues are lower, because of overnight usage for repairing and rebuilding.
- Exercising for 20 minutes first thing in the morning is like exercising for an hour, later in the afternoon or evening, from a fat burning standpoint.
If you continue to eat in a balanced way, and include regular exercise, the plateau will give way to more weight loss and weight management becomes easier. I was in a funk for about 3 weeks, unbelieveable up a pound, down a pound, no loss, then, finally, my plateau gave away to 6.25 pounds overnight. It can happen to you! DON’T QUIT! Visualize the lean, slender, sexy you!
As a Chartered Herbalist, I specialize in helping people achieve their overall wellness goals. I can help put you on the road to achieving good health and a sense of well-being. I’m here to answer any questions and help you choose the best products.
Visit Nature’s Sunshine, a one-stop source for all your herb and health supplement needs.