Thyroid Problem and Losing Weight
The thyroid is one of the greater of a special group of organs that makes up the glandular system (also known as the endocrine system). The other organs that make up this system are the:
- adrenals (respond to stress)
- pancreas (secretes insulin to regulate blood sugar levels)
- pituitary (secretes growth hormone)
- hypothalamus (controls hunger, thirst and body temperatures)
- parathyroid (regulates calcium levels)
- thymus (works the immune system).
It is critical that all of these organs within the glandular system work in harmony expelling the correct amount of hormones for each of the mentioned functions.
Do you have a Thyroid problem? At present, even health professionals are zero-ing in on the possibility that the dysfunctional thyroid may play a role in obese individuals. Should you have a thyroid problem, make sure your first step in treating it, is to start getting the essential nutrients you may lack, back into your body. This can be done through the balancing of meals, improving your food choices, and using nutritional supplements.
THYROID SUPPORTING NUTRIENTS:
BENEFICIAL FOR THYROID SUPPORT:
KC-X High in calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, sodium, zinc and vitamin A.
ESTROGEN, PROGESTERONE, AND WEIGHT LOSS:
SHOULD YOU HAVE A THYROID PROBLEM, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR FIRST STEP IN TREATING IT, IS TO START GETTING THE ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS
THYROID PROBLEM AND WEIGHT LOSS –
BROWN ADIPOSE TISSUE (BAT):
- Reduced BAT activity can also reduce thyroid function: BAT stimulates thermogenesis.
- When thyroid activity slows down and body temperature lowers:
The body begins to increase production of white adipose tissue (WAT):
- WAT helps to insulate our internal organs from the cold and cushions them from shock and trauma.
- WAT is incapable of contributing much energy or heat to the body.
- The increase in WAT further insulates the organs against lower temperatures, further reducing the need for brown fat (BAT) to produce heat.
- This chain of metabolic events created by the dysfunctional thyroid culminates in the shutdown of the basal metabolic rate (BMR).
- In the process, brown adipose tissue is turned into white adipose tissue:
- Becoming metabolically inactive by losing the activity of the mitochondria.
- Shutting down the ability of the body to create heat and waste calories.
- Making weight loss very difficult.
DIETING AND LOW THYROID:
- Low-calorie dieting causes the thyroid to slow down. The calibration (slowdown) of the metabolism is due to a restriction of calories. This calibration remains until the restrictive pattern of eating is changed, and results in the familiar post-diet weight gain and yo-yo dieting.
- Yo-yo dieting causes the thyroid, adrenals, and pancreas to begin to lose their homeostatic capabilities, making weight loss, and regulation of blood sugar, more difficult to achieve.
- Inadequate protein seriously erodes the ability of the thyroid gland to function normally. Protein is the building block for the hormones, neurotransmitters, and enzymes that all make up the function of the thyroid.
- Low thyroid function, which produces a drop in body temperature, can cause many of the enzymatic reactions to slow down or cease functioning, resulting in:
- Poor assimilation, breakdown, and absorption of foods in the intestinal tract
- Inadequate conversion of thyroid hormones (T4 to T3) or insufficient uptake of thyroid hormone (T3) into cell structures (T3 increases each cell’s metabolic rate)
- Inadequate conversion = inadequate metabolism = reduced fat burning = weight gain
- Enzyme supplementation can be helpful until a low thyroid condition is reversed.
RECOGNIZING HIDDEN THYROID PROBLEM
A sluggish thyroid is perhaps the most commonly occurring hormonal disturbance in North America today. This thyroid problem afflicts millions of people of all ages and sexes, although adult women are its usual victims. The thyroid gland controls the metabolic rate and is descriptively known as the “master of metabolism”. As many as one in four individuals suffer from thyroid problem such as low thyroid function. For most people, there is more than one trigger for low thyroid function.
CRITICAL FUNCTIONS OF THE THYROID
HOW THYROID PROBLEMS DEVELOP
THE THYROID GLAND CONTROLS THE METABOLIC RATE
HYPOTHYROIDISM CAN PRODUCE THESE CLINICALLY RECOGNIZED SYMPTOMS:
BENEFICIAL FOR HYPOTHROIDISM:
Kelp . Make the most of it as it is a botanical; classified as algae, it is all natural . Very high in iodine the very mineral that this fickle gland needs. It has been tradtionally used to treat obesity, atherosclerorosis and rheumatism.
BENEFICIAL FOR GLANDULAR SYSTEM:
GlucoReg Men’s Formula Women’s Formula
Master G Adrenal Support
When it comes to selecting these glandular system key products, or if you just want to find out about their features and health benefits, you can visit Nature’s Sunshine store, your one-stop source for all your herb and health supplement needs.
SUBSTANCES THAT IMPAIR THYROID FUNCTION AND CAUSE THYROID PROBLEMS:
I got my thyroid tested. I was told that the thyroid is a fickle gland as it is, so it was difficult as far as my test results stood if my thyroid was dysfunctional or not. However, I knew that my thyroid was taxed and I experienced alot of the symptoms noted above. Many years of yo-yo dieting, I would regained my post weight plus after many of these so-called successful diets. I choose to deleted from my menu, all the foods that contain substances called goitrogens (raw cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts) as they can interfere with thyroid function and cause a thyroid problem. Cooking inactivates the thyroid-blocking components. The anti-thyroid components contained in these foods are enhanced by juicing and can induce a mild hypothyroid state when used in this manner. Unless the body’s internal regulatory mechanisms are working correctly, none of the diet modifications in the world will work. You have to fix the underlying problem. In fact, a diet itself may create the problem. This is where most diet programs fall short; they don’t take into account the incredible complexity of the body.
To discover many products that can support the thyroid and its function; you can Visit Nature’s Sunshine, a one-stop source for all your herb and health supplement needs.
Or just ask me; as a Chartered Herbalist and Wellness Consultant I specialize in helping people achieve their overall wellness goals. I can help put you on the road to achieving good health and a sense of well-being. I’m here to answer any questions you have and to help you choose the best products.