Our very life and health, depends on the ability of the body’s physiological power to maintain the stability of our blood pH level at approximately 7.4. This process is called homeostasis. The acid base balance of the body is critical to good health. One cannot seriously think about individualizing a diet, without considering how the diet affects one’s acid-base and alkaline balance
We are constantly generating acid waste products of metabolism that must be neutralized in some way if life is to be possible. We, therefore, need a continual supply of akaline food to neutralize this on going acid generation. I made sure that I had my pH levels checked about two months into my wellness weight loss diet. Luckily, I was 7.4 on the scale. I knew that I wasn’t at the beginning of my journey, as I was belching, burping and bloated. Acid reflux, engaged at just the thought of any type of food or beverage not only the spicy or caffeine ladened ones.
Test your pH acidity or akaline levels with NSP ph strips.
|AN ACID FORMING REACTION REFERS TO ANY CHEMICAL ALTERATION IN THE BODY THAT PRODUCES A DECREASED ABILITY TO ENERGIZE THE SYSTEM AND LEAVES AN ACID RESIDUE IN THE URINE.||AN ALKALINE FORMING REACTION REFERS TO ANY CHEMICAL ALTERATION IN THE BODY THAT PRODUCES AN INCREASED ABILITY TO ENERGIZE THE SYSTEM AND LEAVES AN AKALINE RESIDUE IN THE URINE.|
|SYMPTOMS OF EXCESS ACID WASTE||SYMPTOMS OF HIATAL HERNIA SYNDROME*|
|* Without the proper hydrochloric acid breakdown of foods, they become too acidic. The Hiatal Hernia Syndrome can very quickly reduce hydrochloric acid by pinching the vagus nerve.|
|pH AND WEIGHT LOSS
ACID BASE BALANCE AND AKALINE FOODS
It is vitally important that there is a proper ratio between acid and alkaline foods in the diet. There is no single intake ratio of acid to alkaline foods that applies to everyone. Each individual must find his/her proper balance of acid and alkaline intake foods or health supplements. When an ideal ratio of acid base balance is maintained, the body has a strong resistance against disease. The countless names attached to illness does not really matter. What does matter is that illnesses, come from the same root cause – too much acid waste in the body. Unfortunately, acids wastes that are not eliminated when they should be, are reabsorbed from the colon into the liver and put back into general circulation, then deposited into the tissues. It is these tissue residues that determine sickness or health.
UNDERSTANDING THE NEUROTRANSMITTERS, HORMONES & PEPTIDES THAT AFFECT WEIGHT CONTROL
The center for all eating behaviors seems to be the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus is the region of the brain that serves as the nerve control center for many metabolic functions crucial to appetite control. It sends powerful chemical messengers, known as neurotransmitters, to tell you when to eat, how much to eat, and even – what to eat.
HOW SEROTONIN AFFECTS WEIGHT LOSS:
- Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, which regulates both appetite and food cravings.
- Serotonin is manufactured from tryptophan, an amino acid found in protein foods.
- Tryptophan needs glucose in order to gain entry into the brain.
- When serotonin levels are low, the body may try to recruit carbohydrates in order to increase production, resulting in carbohydrate cravings common to depression, binge eating, and premenstrual syndrome.
- Serotonin regulates our energy and moods.
- Long term dieting and restricting caloric intake for years may decrease serotonin levels.
- Those who have dieted for years may be craving foods (primarily carbohydrates) that will increase their serotonin level.
- Under stress, we undergo bodily and behavioral changes that depletes serotonin, we feel cranky, irritable, depressed, or anxious, and hunger for foods such as sugars or carbohydrates.
- Your serotonin level increases in response to exercise, no matter what your physical condition.
- Hormonal fluctuations, triggered by the menstrual cycle, deplete serotonin levels.
- Meditation increases serotonin levels.World of Alternatives has about 50 products available for you to download, plug in and listen to. Each product comes with a guarantee that they are perfectly safe, very easy to use and they work. Some of the products that are available are: Stress management, self hypnosis, sound therapy, meditation (three states), sleep therapy, help deal with insomnia, energizer, stop smoking, stop a habit, or loose weight. MIND-SYNC
- Research shows that aspartame blocks the formation of serotonin in the brain.
HOW GALANIN AFFECTS WEIGHT LOSS:
- Galanin is a brain hormone that regulates the body’s desire for fat and carbohydrates.
- As galanin levels rise, so does your desire to eat fatty and high-carbohydrate foods.
- The more galanin you make, the more fat you store, so it is critical to make less galanin.
- Keeping insulin under control is the key to decreasing the craving for fatty and high-carbohydrate foods.
- Increased insulin also stimulates more galanin.
- Eating more protein curtails galanin release. Balanced meals (proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and fiber) are the key to keeping galanin under control.
- Galanin production naturally rises from the late morning into the late afternoon.
- Getting adequate protein (21-28 grams) for breakfast and lunch will help to reduce the production of galanin.
- Stress also produces increased levels of galanin.
HOW PEPTIDES AFFECT WEIGHT LOSS:
NEUROPEPTIDE Y (NPY) AND CHOLECYSTOKININ (CCK)
- When the hypothalamus senses that you need energy, it sends a messenger (NPY) to tell the body to eat, and its message is, “eat carbohydrates”.
- NPY wants fast energy. NPY is politically incorrect; it is equally satisfied with an apple or sugar.
- When the body senses that blood sugar is rising in reaction to the carbohydrates eaten – serotonin is then released to curb your appetite.
- When you skip meals, suppress the appetite, cut calories too low, and even during fasting, the hypothalamus senses famine and produces extra NPY to encourage you to eat more carbohydrates.
- The stress-produced-hormone, cortisol, speeds up the production of NPY.
- NPY affects other hormones (galanin) in a way that guarantees that any fat eaten will be turned into stored fat.
- When you eat essential fats, the intestines secrete the hormone, CCK, which triggers the gallbladder to release bile to aid in digestion.
- CCK may also suppress your appetite by causing the pyloric sphincter to contract, thus slowing the release of food from the stomach, and thereby promoting a feeling a satisfaction/fullness (satiety).
Eat the meals that stimulate the fat burning hormone and don’t eat the meals that stimulate the fat storage hormone. BALANCE. The choice is up to you.
Learn to understand these critical components; the cause and affect on overall health not just in the weight management arena.
Do you need help? Just ask, as a Chartered Herbalist, I specialize in helping people achieve their overall wellness goals. I can help put you on the road to achieving good health and a sense of well-being. I’m here to answer any questions you have and to help you choose the best products.
Visit Nature’s Sunshine store, a one-stop source for all your herb and health supplement needs.