Eco Friendly – A Natural Cleaning Cupboard
When is comes to household or work environment cleaners, we tend to want the best results in the least amount of time, without thinking too much about the effect that they may have on the environment. However, you don’t have to believe everything the advertisements tell you: do look at the label to find out what’s in the cleaner you are buying from the supermarket. Is it eco friendly?
Natures-sunshine-concentrate contains no phosphates, borates or nitrates
NSP Concentrate is a general purpose, non-flammable cleaning concentrate containing no polluting phosphates, borates or nitrates. Its biodegradable cleaning and sudsing agents break down easily, helping to prevent foaming or sudsing problems in streams, lakes, rivers and water treatment plants.
NSP Concentrate is a versatile product with literally hundreds of uses. Used full strength, it is a powerful cleanser. In various dilutions, it can be used to clean an extensive variety of items. It comes in a 32 oz bottle, is a blue colour and is used to clean practically everything – clothes, dishes, plants, food, floors, glasses, windows, tires, pets, etc. A little goes a long way.
There are many environmentally friendly products available. Helpful suggestions, recommendations, and solutions, as well as access to quality products and services are available at most department store outlets in your neighbourhood.
Eco-friendly is not just important, it is vital. Literally. The eco-house and work environments of the future recycles waste bath and basin water to flush toilets, uses solar energy and is insulated with recycled newsprint: but even if you’re not going to build an eco-house or work environment, you can still use your consumer power to create a natural home or work environment.
IN THE KITCHEN:
- Use a fast boiling kettle to save energy
- Ecologically-designed, energy efficient refrigerators and freezers that use butane for coolant
- Energy efficient, low water consuming washing machines and dishwaters
- Recycled glass products
- Reclaimed terra-cotta tile
- Bamboo for just about everything! Flooring, tables, chairs, blinds, screens, cutlery handles, steamers, trays, baskets, boxes and mats. It is the most environmentally friendly wood on the planet, being fast growing and easily replenished.
IN THE BEDROOM:
- Organic, unbleached cotton and silk sheets, duvet covers, bedspreads etc.
- Natural Mattresses and wool blankets
- Rugs colored with vegetable dyes
IN THE BATHROOM:
- Organically-grown cotton towels, bath mats and bathrobes made with natural plant dyes
- Bathroom toiletries: toothbrushes, shaving gear, nail brushes, soap, toilet paper and body oils that have no chemicals added to them in their manufacture
ECO-FRIENDLY IS NOT JUST IMPORTANT,
IT IS VITAL
IN THE STUDY OR WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Recycled stationery and print paper
- Flooring of sisal or hemp
- Recycled cardboard paper bins
IN THE LIVING ROOM:
- Unbleached cotton for blinds and curtains, cushion covers and carpets using natural dyes and pigments
- Batik vegetable-dyed throws over the chairs
- Hand-loomed rugs dyed with plants and vegetables
- Hemp and natural cotton rugs over coir (coconut matting) or sea grass flooring
- Rattan furniture or matting (it is a fast growing vine)
- Furniture made from reclaimed timbers such as ocean drift wood
- Raffia tablecloths
- Lampshades hand made from recycled paper and rags
OTHER GREEN CLEAN ECO-FRIENDLY TIPS:
- Make a conscious decision to create an eco-friendly home.
- By not using aerosols, as they are believed to damage the ozone layer which protects us from the harmful radiation of UV rays from the sun.
- Use organic paints which are made without harmful petrochemicals, use natural plant solvents such as linseed oil and turpentine, natural resins, earth and mineral pigments and plant dyes. They are kinder to the ozone layer and they reduce the occurrence of allergies.
- Floor polishes, wallpaper, filler, varnishes and household glue can be bought without the addition of toxic chemicals.
- Extend eco-thinking to your garden, by recycling waste as compost.
- Recycle all you own environmental waste: put bottles, cans, paper etc. into the local recycling bins.
Make your home and work environment a safe and healthy place to live in. Be eco friendly!